Mappia Foetida, Kalagaura, Narkya - Plant
You may browse related categories
Common name: Foetid Mappia, Amruta, Ghanera, Kalgur, Narkya
Color: Purple, pink or white
Bloom time: Seasonal bloomer
Height: 4.00 to 8.00 feet
Difficulty level: easy to grow
Planting & Care
Choose a warm, sheltered location when growing. The vining varieties require a support structure as some can get 15 feet tall. All plants prefer sun to light shade sites with well-draining and moderately fertile soil. Install the plant in the ground at the same level it was growing in the nursery pot.
Sunlight: Full sun to part shade
Soil: well-drained soil
Fertilizer: Apply any organic fertilizer
- plant care is not difficult but does require vigilance.
- The vines need to be trained early when they are young.
- You may use plant ties or just weave them through trellis sections.
- Fertilize the plant in spring just before new growth appears.
- Pinch off the tips of the vines in the second year to promote branching which will fill the trellis with bushy growth.
Container plant for sunny decks, patios and other locations around the home. In Zones 8-10, these plants are used in a variety of landscape applications including hedges, screens, foundation plantings and borders.
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose.
No serious insect or disease problems. Watch for mealybugs, aphids and scale. Caterpillars may chew on the foliage. Remove and destroy any leaves damaged by leaf spot.